Monday 4 January 2010

Day 3 - Whangeri to Auckland- 173km

Day 3 - Whangeri to Auckland- 173km

Another tough day in the saddle, the sun was out and so was headwind - a pretty brutal day all in all!

So what did we get up to? well, the day started at about 5.30 with a light brekkie and then a short 2km run down (yep, for that read - downhill!) and 2.2km of swimming, then the 2km uphill run back to the camp for a proper breakfast and get ready for the bike leg.

Today, we rode from Whangeri to Auckland, which consisted of the famed kiwi rollers, the course itself took us from Whangeri to Waipu cove right on the east coast, which gave us a great view of the "Hen and Chicken Islands" - no photos though as I too busy chewing my handlebars at this point to really notice (big headwind).

We then rode straight across to the other side of the island, along with some tasty climbs, to Wellsford and along the coast before turning back inland at Kaukapaka (great names).

Again some awesome views, but some tough climbing.

Stats as follows;

2.2km Swim
4km Run
173km Bike

7540cals burnt today (total)
Internal Core temp: 37deg ;)

Right then, cake and sleep! :)

5 comments:

  1. What flavour handle bars are you running out there? Sounds like you need to strap a few of those Mango and Passion Fruit bad boys on so you can at least get a lick of energy in whilst ducking out of the wind.

    Fantastic work on the first back to back 100's, that's a milestone right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm officially the worst IT geek ever, give me a printer to fill with paper any day. Anyway, 3 days in and I can finally leave a comment... so here it is....

    well done and keep going. my dinner is ready:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK Lee - so I'm not into the whole calorie counting thing, but wouldn't I need to eat my own body weight in something to stop me disappearing if I was using 7500 calories a day? or do I just need to eat handle bars? how can I do that if I'm a runner? I don't have a bike. lol.

    Anyhow, you're blog is an awesome read - keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee top one. It does sound awesome and as much hard work as it is I would love to be there, rather than work. Top work on the internal core temp ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one lee sounds like day 3 was hard work but you made it through and strill in top shape so keep it up. As you had cake I had some christmas cake yesterday too to keep you company. Enjoy those handle bars and keep up the good work matey
    x

    ReplyDelete